An early morning fire sends two people to the hospital and leaves a home heavily damaged.
Shreveport fire crews were dispatched to the 300 block of E. 81st Street just before three o'clock this morning. When they arrived on scene they found a fire contained to the kitchen area.
An 85-year old female and another family member were able to escape the blaze, with the help of crews on scene. An 84-year old male was trapped in the back room and had to be rescued by crews through a nearby window.
The man and woman were both transported to LSU Medical Center with smoke inhalation. Both are in stable condition at this time.
Firefighters say the fire started after the kitchen stove was left on after the three people went to sleep.
Fire crews were able to get the fire under control in about 10 minutes. However, the home sustained heavy smoke and fire damage after the fire spread from the kitchen into the attic area.