Fire destroys Caddo Parish home
Family of five loses everything in morning blaze
Three generations of family history and memories went up in flames in just a matter of minutes for one South Caddo Parish family.
The family spent the day before Thanksgiving picking up the pieces, but say they are grateful that they all made it out alive.
"I was sleeping right there in what use to be my bed," said David Harmon after receiving a wake up call Wednesday morning that he never expected.
While asleep in his bed Harmon heard his father yell "There's a fire, there's a fire!"
According to authorities , the fire sparked just after 6a.m. behind the refrigerator in his family's kitchen in the 1200 block of Barron Road.
In a matter of seconds, Harmon says the kitchen and the entire house became engulfed in flames.
While fire crews from multiple districts were able to get the blaze under control in about an hour, it couldn't save a home that stood for almost 40 years and housed nearly three generations.
Harmon says his aunts, uncles, grandparents, brothers, and his mom grew up in the house.
" You look at me now, everything that my brothers and my parents have on is all we have, we don't have anything," said Harmon.
Family members have stepped up to try and help, setting up a bank account through Bancorp South hoping that the spirit of the season will inspire others to give.
Harmon says he's thankful that his family was able to get out of the house before it was too late.
"Just glad we saw it and heard it when we did because a minute later none of us would have been able to make it out," said Harmon, "all in all, we all got out okay and that's obviously the most important thing."
Copyright 2012 KTBS. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.