A tragedy unfolded on the campus of LSU Hospital in Shreveport Wednesday afternoon. A baby girl was found dead inside a hot SUV.
It was just after 4 pm and the temperature was 91 degrees.
The owner of the vehicle found the child, still strapped in the car seat.
Authorities say the 6 to 8 month old girl had been in the vehicle for several hours.
Investigators won't confirm if the SUV belongs to an employee or staff member at LSU Health.
This is the first time a child has died from being left in a hot car in Shreveport this year.
The U.S. Department of Transportation says there have been at least 24 deaths so far this summer resulting from children being left in hot cars.
Heatstroke is the leading cause of non-crash vehicle deaths for children under the age of 14. When outside temperatures are in the low 80s, the temperature inside a vehicle can reach deadly levels in only 10 minutes, even with a window rolled down two inches.
Children's bodies overheat 4 to 5 times as quickly as an adult, and infants and children under 4 years old are at the greatest risk for heat-related illness.
Late last week, the government launched a massive nationwide campaign urging people to "Look Before You Lock". It's designed to get you to look out for children to keep them from being left in hot vehicles. You can find out more about the "Look Before You Lock" campaign by going to the following website: