A local woman is speaking out after her disabled son received serious burns. She says the burns were the result of negligence.
Reginald Erving, Jr. is 14 years old and has severe mental and physical disabilities. His parents, Reginald, Sr. and Sharron, have nurses come in on a regular basis to help out with Reggie, Jr.
But earlier this month Sharron says a nurse from Trinity Home Health put Reggie, Jr. in the shower to bathe him.
"When I was coming back into the house I heard him screaming," Sharron said. "So I opened up the bathroom door and went in and tried to calm him down. He immediately calmed down at seeing me. But she also turned the water off and adjusted the temperature."
Sharron says at the time she didn't notice any burns. But later that night, while changing her son before bed, they saw burns on his back.
"We immediately called the company. We took him to the emergency room. He had first and second degree burns on his back, and the print from the shower chair was on his back."
An official with Trinity Home Health says they're aware of the case but say they can't be certain the nurse was responsible, since the incident was reported some six hours after she left.
Reggie, Jr. is healing since that incident. The family is still using Trinity Home Health for his care. An official with Trinity home Health says the nurse in question was working on a contract basis with them and is no longer with the company.