The Caddo District Attorney finally released his findings on the DeEric Bailey police shooting case Friday. He believes the officers were only protecting the public and did nothing wrong. However, one organization claims the public still has questions about the case and is calling for more investigations.
The district attorney's office investigation found that the officer who fired at Bailey, taking his life, wasn't in the wrong. DA Charles Scott says Bailey was a threat to the public. The local NAACP wants more opinions on the matter.
"I'm sorry that we lost a citizen," Scott said. "I'm sorry that we lost a family member of the bailey family. I'm very sorry of that, but at anytime the officers who are sworn to protect the public are doing just that. They're protecting everyone. In this instance, they were protecting the motoring public, the innocent motoring public going by on I-20 and also the passengers."
Local NAACP President Loyd Thompson says he accepts the DA's findings but still has questions. His organization has been interested in the Bailey case since last year. That's mostly because of public outcry. Thompson says his office has received dozens of calls from worried citizens.
"I think it's acceptable, but it's not acceptable to the community," Thompson said. "The community still has questions, and to erase the doubt in their mind, I think the their and fourth opinion will help clear up some of that doubt in their mind."
Thompson wants those opinions to come from the Louisiana Attorney General and the US Attorney's Office. He's already sent letters to them and plans to follow up on Monday. The DA's office says 5 shots were fired at Bailey and 11 were fired at his car.