An East Texas couple is recovering from burn injuries after their mobile home explodes. The Beckville Volunteer Fire Department responded to a fire around 4:30 Monday morning in the 100 block of Madison Street.
Officials say two victims, Jimmy Armstrong and Tammy Harrington were injured in the fiery explosion. The Panola County Sheriff's Office believe a propane leak filled the trailer, and the gas was ignited when Armstrong tried to light a cigarette. Officials warn, while the gas can be useful for many homeowners, it can also be dangerous.
"It's below freezing so it will give you instant frost bite," said Kie Foley, owner of Foley Rentals in Carthage, Texas. "It's very volatile, it is explosive. The nature of propane is it wants to expand when it's hot. If you're inside a home, it's got nowhere else to go but inside the home, and all it take is an ignition source."
Foley says safety precautions can be taken to help prevent an incident like the one in Beckville. He suggests always being alert for the distinct rotten smell a propane leak will give off and ensuring the tank or cylinder is not damaged, searching for dents and rust.
Both victims in the trailer explosion were taken to Good Shepherd Medical Center in Longview with substantial injuries. Officials say no foul play is suspected. While they believe there was a propane leak, the incident is still under investigation.