Space heater is cause of house fire
The Shreveport Fire Department was dispatched to house fire at 2531 Freddie Street in the MLK Community at 06:37 AM. Fire Crews arrived on scene at 06:44 AM and discovered flames coming from the northwest corner of the home. The homeowner had escaped to safety prior to the fire department's arrival. Paramedics treated and transported 49 year old Rose Ellis to Willis Knighton North for smoke inhalation. It took 6units--18 firefighters--15 minutes to bring the fire under control.
Fire investigators have classified this fire as accidental. The fire was likely caused by the power cord of an electric space heater that ignited ordinary combustibles. The fire caused more than $10,000 in damage to the home.
As cooler weather enters the region, the SFD offers the following safety tips for use of heating equipment:
1. Keep the heater away from drapes, furniture or other flammable materials. Place the heater on a level surface away from areas where someone might bump it and knock it over
2. If you must use an extension cord, make sure it is a heavy duty cord marked with a power rating at least as high as that on the label of the heater itself.
3. Never leave a space heater unattended or running while you sleep.
4. Keep electric heaters away from water. Never use them near a
sink or in the bathroom.
5. Do NOT use unvented kerosene heaters inside
6. Maintain a 3 feet (or 1 meter) separation between things that can burn and heating equipment.
7. Install your stationary (fixed) space heater according to manufacturer’s instructions or applicable codes or better yet, have it installed by a professional.
8. Make sure fuel-burning equipment is vented to the outside, that the venting is kept clear and unobstructed, and that the exit point is properly sealed around the vent, all of which is to make sure deadly carbon monoxide does not build up in the home. Inspect all heating equipment annually, and clean as necessary. Test smoke alarms monthly; install a carbon monoxide alarm in a central location outside each sleeping area.
Remember, fire safety is everybody’s job, and the Shreveport Fire Department is committed to saving lives, property and protecting the environment.