Shreveport standoff ends with suspect in custody - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports

Shreveport standoff ends with suspect in custody

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, La. - Shreveport police say drugs, alcohol and mental illness may have played a role in a Thursday evening standoff that ended peacefully.

The nearly three-hour-long ordeal began when SPD patrol officers responded to a disorderly person report around 6:15 PM Thursday near Wyngate Circle and Browning Rd. When they arrived, officers say a male left the residence with a car. They do not believe the vehicle belongs to him. He crashed the car a few miles from the home on E. 79th St.

Officers say the suspect then fled on foot and climbed onto a house's roof at the intersection of E. 80th St. and Henderson Ave. The residents were home at the time, but SPD removed them from the residence.

The man- who has not been identified- remained on the roof for the next two hours, talking with SPD negotiators and requesting food, drinks and cigarettes, which officers provided.

Just before 9 PM, the man climbed from the roof on his own accord and placed in police custody.

SPD Public Information Officer Marcus Hines says the man may be treated at University Health before booking. There is no word on the charges he faces at this time.
  • KTBS 3 News Tips

    Send your news tip or story idea to the KTBS 3 Newsroom.  Enter your email address below to get started.

    * denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

    Thank you for your submission to KTBS 3 News.  A member of our staff may contact you for more information.

Share Your Images
Powered by WorldNow
    Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTBS. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
    Advertising | EEO Public File | KTBS 3 Public File | KPXJ 21 Public File