Quantcast

Brandon Harris showing maturity and leadership in QB battle - KTBS.com - Shreveport, LA News, Weather and Sports

Brandon Harris showing maturity and leadership in QB battle

Posted: Updated:
SHREVEPORT, La - In its long and glorious history, LSU football has never opened a season with a true freshman as its starting quarterback.  That "could" change this fall.

College football can make a high school athlete turn into a man, and real quick. Former Parkway star Brandon Harris graduated a semester early to enroll at LSU and get a leg up on the quarterback competition for the 2014 starting position, and to Harris, it's paid off.  "If you get the opportunity to play quarterback at LSU, you have to be mature. There's different ways to hold yourself to a higher standard than maybe other people would. I try to take full advantage of it, one step at a time and continue to mature and be ready whenever my number's called."

Harris is not the only person to notice the transformation. Four former Tigers have all watched the Parkway High School product turn into a real contender for the LSU starting job.   "He looks a little bigger,” says former fullback Jacob Hester.  “It looks like he put on a little bit of weight. Coach Moffett got him going on down there, but you can tell just even talking to him. It's funny how he was already a mature kid for high school but he's matured even more.”

Former defensive tackle Bennie Logan is also impressed.   "When I went back to LSU this offseason, I took a few classes and I was in class with him. Just seeing how he matured through the spring session, and even in the spring game how he matured, and you know in my opinion should be the starting quarterback."

Richard Murphy remembers Harris from high school when working at Morris Claiborne’s summer camp. “ Year before last, I went to Mo's camp and Brandon Harris was in camp then and I was like 'This kid is pretty good.' And then I saw him at LSU's spring, he's what I saw at the camp."

"I made him throw me a couple of balls,” says former tight end Richard Dickson.  “You know, I felt like I needed to see what he's really got and see for myself. But he's going to be really good. I'm real excited to see what he can do."

Harris was Parkway's clear starter for two seasons but coming into LSU, the freshman is embarking on a quarterback battle which includes Anthony Jennings, who saw some action towards the end of the 2013 season.

Harris understands what he’s facing. "I think that everybody that watched LSU over the past years, they want to see consistency at quarterback and I compare that quarterback competition as if you're playing with the Dallas Cowboys. It's a position that you're thankful for but at the same time you're going to go through things that other quarterback may not go through so I think that's the biggest thing, building consistency, being consistent and doing things the right way."

"If anybody can start as a true freshman at LSU, he's got the make-up to do it,” says Hester.  "Obviously, Les likes to gamble and likes to do things a little unordinary so if a coach will pull the trigger I think Les is the one to do it. If Brandon's ready, I don't see why not. They don't really have experience coming back at that position anyways so if a true freshman is the guy then go with him."

Logan agrees, "Miles, I mean, you never know what he has up his hat. If he does, I think he can’t go wrong with either of them, but I think Brandon Harris would be a good pick as the starting quarterback."

"I think there's a good chance,” adds Dickson. “With Anthony Jennings as a sophomore and he has one game, doesn't have a lot of reps. They're really even with Brandon coming in early, getting a spring semester in. I think he has a really good shot."

Harris is already showing maturity and leadership. "I want him to play whoever he feels like gives us a chance to win a national championship. If it's me, I'm going to take it and take full advantage of it and thank him for the opportunity and lay as hard as I can. If it's Anthony, I'm going to be very supportive of him. I think that's how you handle that situation. I can't look at it any way else. Competition brings out the best in everybody. It doesn't build enemies in my opinion."

It may become a first for Miles, but we've seen the Mad Hatter do crazier things before.
  • College FootballMore>>

Cop once drew gun on squirrel-hunting QB Winston

Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:56:45 GMT
    Police say Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and Florida State teammate Chris Casher were held at gunpoint by campus police nearly two years ago while hunting squirrels with a pellet gun.
    Heisman Trophy winner Jameis Winston and Florida State teammate Chris Casher were held at gunpoint by campus police nearly two years ago while hunting squirrels with a pellet gun, police say.

Cincinnati picked to win American

Tuesday, July 29 2014 9:19 AM EDT2014-07-29 13:19:15 GMT
    Cincinnati has been picked to win the American Athletic Conference, with defending champion Central Florida second.

Penn State hires former Cal AD to lead program

Saturday, July 26 2014 3:54 PM EDT2014-07-26 19:54:18 GMT
    Penn State has hired Sandy Barbour as athletic director, a month after she stepped down as AD at the University of California-Berkeley.
    Penn State hired Sandy Barbour as athletic director, a month after she stepped down as AD at the University of California-Berkeley.
  • FootballMore>>

Jerry Jones: Brent out of rehab, NFL question next

Wednesday, July 30 2014 10:12 PM EDT2014-07-31 02:12:22 GMT
    Dallas Cowboys owner Jerry Jones says former defensive tackle Josh Brent is out of rehabilitation and could have his future with the NFL resolved before the team leaves training camp in California in two weeks.

ESPN suspends Smith for comments on abuse

Wednesday, July 30 2014 7:16 PM EDT2014-07-30 23:16:54 GMT
    ESPN says it has suspended sportscaster Stephen A. Smith for a week because of comments about domestic abuse suggesting women should make sure they don't provoke attacks.
    ESPN has suspended outspoken sportscaster Stephen A. Smith for a week because of his comments about domestic abuse suggesting women should make sure that they don't do anything to provoke an attack.

Cop once drew gun on squirrel-hunting QB Winston

Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:56 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:56:45 GMT
Section is sponsored by:
AUG 30 8:00pm CDT Wisconsin
SEP 6 6:30pm CDT Sam Houston
SEP 13 TBD UL Monroe
SEP 20 TBA Mississippi St.
SEP 27 TBA New Mexico St.
OCT 4 TBA at Auburn
OCT 11 TBA at Florida
OCT 18 TBA Kentucky
OCT 25 TBA Ole Miss
NOV 8 TBA Alabama
NOV 15 TBA at Arkansas
NOV 27 TBA at Texas A&M
  • KTBS 3 News Tips

Send your news tip or story idea to the KTBS 3 Newsroom.  Enter your email address below to get started.

* denotes required fields
    We're sorry, but only one entry is allowed per person.
    Thank you for your continued interest.

Thank you for your submission to KTBS 3 News.  A member of our staff may contact you for more information.

• SportsMore>>

Shreveport golfers shine again at Junior PGA Championship

Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:55 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:55:56 GMT
    The Junior PGA Championship continuing Wednesday in Bryan, Texas with Shreveport well represented on the leaderboard once again.

Ready for some football; NSU Victory Tour stops by Shreveport

Wednesday, July 30 2014 11:09 PM EDT2014-07-31 03:09:37 GMT
    Northwestern State's Victory Tour made it's way to Superior Steakhouse in Shreveport Wednesday and football was in the air.

Athlete of the Week: Kaden Amidon

Wednesday, July 30 2014 5:51 PM EDT2014-07-30 21:51:26 GMT
    While a day in the pool may be relaxing for some, it has a whole different meaning for Athlete of the Week Kaden Amidon.
Share Your Images
Powered by WorldNow
    Powered by WorldNow
    All content © Copyright 2000 - 2014 Worldnow and KTBS. All Rights Reserved. For more information on this site, please read our Privacy Policy and Terms of Service.
    Advertising | EEO Public File | KTBS 3 Public File | KPXJ 21 Public File