After a mild winter and rainy spring, this year's mosquito season may be one of the worst ever. Louisiana has had three cases of West Nile Virus in the past week.
Here's how to keep the mosquitoes away from you:
- Pour out standing water from things like birdbaths and flower pots, because that's where mosquitoes breed.
- Screen windows and doors and repair even small holes in screens.
- Stay inside at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- If you go outside during those times, wear long sleeves and pants.
- Spray your skin with inspect repellant that is made with deet, picaridin or oil of lemon-eucalyptus.
- Consider calling pest management or mosquito abatement company if mosquitoes are a big problem.