Mardi Gras revelers across the ArkLaTex are ready to laissez les bons temps rouler and KTBS 3 is Your Official Mardi Gras Station!
The 2018 Carnival celebration officially began Saturday, Jan. 6, with Epiphany and is picking up speed through midnight on Fat Tuesday, Feb. 13, the day before Ash Wednesday.
A Twelfth Night Mass was held Saturday, Jan. 6 at 9 a.m. at St. Pius X Catholic Church. Several Mardi Gras krewes were on hand. Immediately following the mass, king cake, coffee and orange juice will be served. The public is invited.
Shreveport and Bossier City are preparing a warm welcome for the 2018 Mardi Gras season. The earliest parades of the year are the Krewe of Sobek Parade on Jan. 13 and the Krewe of Harambee Martin Luther King Jr. Day Mardi Gras Parade on Jan. 15.
Other important dates to remember are the Krewe of Centaur Parade on Feb. 3, the Krewe of Barkus and Meoux Pet Parade on Feb. 4, the Krewe of Gemini Parade on Feb. 10, and the Krewe of Highland Parade on Feb. 11.
KTBS 3/KPXJ CW 21 will activate the exclusive Parade Tracker for the Centaur and Highland parades so you'll want to make sure you've downloaded the KTBS 3 mobile app for that. You can get the app from the Apple App Store by clicking here and click here to download the app from the Google Play Store.
Carnival celebrations came to Northwest Louisiana in 1989 with the founding of the Krewe of Gemini. The Krewe of Centaur soon followed in 1991.
Today, Shreveport is home to at least 15 krewes, each with a distinct personality and representing various professions and interest groups, and northwest Louisiana’s only super krewe, the Krewe of Centaur.
It is estimated that more than 8 million beads are tossed during the parades to seas of people waving their arms and shouting, "Throw me something, Mister!" As many as 400,000 locals and visitors line the parade routes each year to see the elaborate floats, marching bands and performers.
*special KTBS 3/KPXJ CW 21 coverage
- Jan 12 - Krewe of Akewa Grand Bal - 6pm at Harrah's Louisiana Downs
- Jan 12 - Krewe of Sobek Grand Bal - 6pm at Shreveport Convention Center
- Jan 13 - Krewe of Artemis Grand Bal - 6:30pm at Springhill Civic Center
- Jan 13 - Krewe de Les Femmes Mystique Grand Bal - 6:30pm at Shreveport Convention Center
- *Jan 13 - Krewe of Sobek Parade - 1pm at State Fair of Louisiana Fairgrounds (airing at 1 pm on ktbs.com & KTBS 3.3)
- *Jan 15 - Krewe of Harambee MLK Day Parade - 1pm at the corner of Milam Street and Texas Street and ends at the Shreveport Municipal Auditorium with a battle of the bands (airing at 1pm on KPXJ CW 21, KTBS 3.3 & ktbs.com)
- Jan 19 - Krewe des Ambassadeurs Grand Bal – 6:30pm at Sam’s Town Casino and Hotel in Shreveport
- Jan 20 – Krewe of Excellence – Natchitoches Events Center
- Jan 20 – Krewe of Demeter Grand Bal – 7:30pm at the David Means Memorial 4-H Building in Grand Cane
- Jan 20 – Krewe of Centaur Grand Bal – 6:30pm at Shreveport Convention Center
- Jan 26 – Krewe of Justinian Grand Bal – 6:30pm at Horseshoe Casino & Hotel Riverdome
- Jan 27 – Cirque du Atlas – 3pm at Shreveport Convention Center
- Jan 27 – Krewe of Gemini Grand Bal – 6:30pm at Shreveport Convention Center
- Jan 27 – Krewe of Dionysos Grand Bal – Natchitoches Events Center
- Jan 27 - Krewe of Hebe Mardi Gras Upriver Queen Mab Bal in Jefferson, Tx
- Jan 27 - Minden Fasching Mardi Gras Karneval and Parade. Entertainment begins at 3pm in downtown Minden. The parade starts at 5:30pm.
- Feb 2 - Krewe of Centaur Float Loading Party - 5:30pm at the Centaur Den on Aero Drive
- Feb 2 – Krewe of Elders Grand Bal – 6pm at American Legion Post 14
- *Feb 3 - Krewe of Centaur Parade with coverage sponsored by La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries of Shreveport - 4:30pm in downtown Shreveport and proceeding along the Clyde Fant Parkway (airing from 4pm to 7pm on KTBS 3, KTBS 3.3 & ktbs.com. Also, an edited one-hour special from 10 to 11 pm on KPXJ CW 21) KTBS PARADE TRACKER AVAILABLE!
- Feb 3 - Mystic Krewe St. Denis Grand Bal - 7pm at the Natchitoches Events Center
- Feb 4 - Krewe of Barkus and Meoux Pet Parade - Noon at Events Center on the Red in Bossier City
- Feb 4 – Krewe of Demeter Parade – 6pm in downtown Mansfield
- Feb 9 - Krewe of Highland Masquerade Bal - 7pm at Shreveport Aquarium
- Feb 9 - Krewe of Gemini Float Loading Party - 6pm at the Gemini Den on Texas Street
- Feb 9 - Krewe of Harambee Saada Maskhara Bal – 6pm Horseshoe Casino and Hotel
- Feb 9-11 - Krewe of Hebe Mardi Gras Upriver in Jefferson, Tx
- Feb 10 - Krewe Of Dionysus Parade – 6pm at Red River South Common Shopping Center South Drive in Natchitoches
- *Feb 10 - Krewe of Gemini Parade - Parade with coverage sponsored by La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries of Shreveport - 4:00pm in downtown Shreveport and proceeding along the Clyde Fant Parkway (airing from 4pm to 7pm on KTBS 3, KTBS 3.3 & ktbs.com. Also, an edited one-hour special from 10 to 11 pm on KPXJ CW 21) KTBS PARADE TRACKER AVAILABLE!
- Feb 10 - Krewe of Koinonia - Festivities begin at 10 am on Front St. in downtown Texarkana, Ar. The main parade begins at 3pm and makes its way through downtown Texarkana.
- *Feb 11 - Krewe of Highland Parade with coverage sponsored by La-Z-Boy Furniture Galleries of Shreveport - 2pm at Gilbert and Gregg Avenue and proceeding north through the historic Highland neighborhood - (airing at 2 pm on KPXJ CW 21 & ktbs.com) KTBS PARADE TRACKER AVAILABLE!
- CANCELED DUE TO WEATHER - Feb. 13 - Fat Tuesday in Shreve Town, A Walking Parade - Line up at 6:30pm; Walk begins at 7pm.
- Feb. 13 - Mardi Gras Day and Closing Ceremony at midnight on the Texas Street Bridge.
Shreveport-Bossier Convention and Tourist Bureau contributed to the content of this article. Check out their site for much more on what's happening in the Shreveport-Bossier area!