SHREVEPORT, La. - The best of the best were auctioned off to the highest bidders Wednesday at the ArkLaTex Agricultural Council's 83rd Annual Jr. Livestock Sale at the State Fair of Louisiana. It kicked off about 9:30 a.m. Wednesday in the fairgrounds Sale Arena.
Wednesday morning, the Grand Champion Steer sold for more than $10,600. It was raised by Evan Weiner of St. Tammany Parish and purchased by the Desoto Parish Chamber, Southern AgCredit, Louisiana Land Bank, David Lawler and Agriculture Commissioner Mike Strain.
Here's a look at some of the other sale results:
- Grand Champion Woodworking-Picnic Table, Selina White, Ebarb FFA - $600
- Reserve Champion Woodworking-Pergola Bench, Zack Favela, Lakeview FFA - $1,900
- Grand Champion Metal Project-Wagon Wheel Bench, Larry Vaughn, Lakeview FFA - $1,200
- Reserve Champion Metal Project-Octagon Picnic Table, Gavin Honeycutt, Seth Clampitt & Case Russell, West Ouachita FFA - $800
- Grand Champion Swine-Caroline Doise, Jefferson Davis Parish - $5,200
- Reserve Champion Swine-Katie Domingue, Vermillion 4-H - $3,100
- Grand Champion Louisiana Bred Swine-Katie Domingue, Vermillion 4-H - $3,750
- Reserve Grand Champion Louisiana Bred Swine-Katie Domingue, Vermillion 4-H - $3,100
- Grand Champion Steers-Evan Weiner, St. Tammany Parish - $10,600
- Reserve Champion Steers-Gage Hayes, Allen Parish - $7,100
- Grand Champion Louisiana Bred Steer-Leslie Rodriguez, Caddo Parish - $9,325
- Reserve Champion Louisiana Bred Steer-Emily Rodriguez, Caddo Parish - $12,275
- Grand Champion Sheep-Mackenzie Castro, Assumption Parish - $4,450
- Reserve Champion Sheep-Emily Vidalier, Vermillion Parish - $3,450
- Grand Champion Louisiana Bred Sheep-Emma Grace Winslett, Grant Parish - $4,250
- Reserve Champion Louisiana Bred Sheep-Mackenzie Castro, Assumption Parish - $3,250
- Grand Champion Goats-Abby Lobue, Calcasieu Parish - $5,700
- Reserve Champion Goats-Abby Lobue, Calcasieu Parish - $3,200
- Grand Champion Louisiana Bred Goats-Ellie LeBlanc, Jefferson Davis Parish - $4,250
- Reserve Champion Louisiana Bred Goats-Ellie LeBlanc, Jefferson Davis Parish - $3,500
- Grand Champion Poultry-Madison Pleasant, Natchitoches Parish - $4,600
- Reserve Champion Poultry-Madison Pleasant, Natchitoches Parish - $2,400
A SPECIAL MARKETPLACE
As a learning experience and business venture, these young men and women have selected, fed and groomed either a steer, lamb, broiler, goat or hog. They bring their project to the State Fair of Louisiana to be judged, graded and sold. This is their marketplace. At the auction, the exhibitor presents their stock and receives a premium for their year's labor.
Participation in the annual auction will support an exhibitor who is in the agricultural business on a small scale. Your financial support is invaluable in continuing interest in our future leaders.
The Junior Livestock Sale was started in 1936 and was sponsored by the Shreveport Kiwanis Club until 1952. From 1952-1971, the Shreveport Chamber of Commerce was the sponsor. ALTAC proudly began sponsoring the sale in 1972 and looks forward to many success years to come.
RAISED IN LOUISIANA
Tuesday evening, KTBS 3 shined the spotlight on 4-H and its impact on America's youth in a 30 minute special, Raised in Louisiana. The program was sponsored by Kilpatrick's Rose-Neath Funeral Homes, Louisiana Land Bank, Deep South Equipment, and the ArkLaTex Ag Council.
Rick Rowe, Jan Elkins and Patrick Dennis introduced us to local 4-H students learning all about leadership, citizenship and life skills. Click here for a complete look at the entire Raised In Louisiana program.