The historic flooding continues in south Louisiana as the federal government declares a major disaster in the state.  Right now, the initial federal declaration is for four parishes.  They include Tangipahoa, St. Helena, East Baton Rouge and Livingston.

"Our request is all impacted areas should be included. However, I'm very confident over the next several days as we gather more information and more documentation additional parishes are going to be added to this list," Gov. John Bel Edwards said.

RELATED ARTICLEThousands remain homeless following massive flooding in Baton Rouge

Officials say at least 10,000 people are in shelters and 20,000+ have been rescued.  The death toll stands at six Monday morning.

Last night, several shelters were opened throughout south Louisiana.  One of those is at Celtic Studios which is a Baton Rouge movie sound stage.

Meanwhile, state officials are issuing a warning in east Baton Rouge to stay inside if you're safe.  The flood waters are still rising as the National Guard is still trying to rescue those still trapped.

Drone video provided by Atmosphere Aerial is giving a snapshot of parts of Baton Rouge submerged underwater.

RELATED ARTICLEHow can I help? United Way accepting donations for flood relief

In the midst of the disaster, there is extraordinary acts of courage from flood victims.  Neighbors are helping neighbors by delivering water food to those in need.  One truck driver even opened up his truck so some mothers with infants could care for them in air conditioning.  

FEMA is now on scene in Baton Rouge assessing the damage.  An official says over 1.2 million gallons of bottled water and over 750,000 meals have been collected so far.

0
0
0
0
0



Load comments