SHREVEPORT, La. -- City residents are being warned to be on the lookout for porch pirates in the area after thieves recently targeted a home in the Clyde Fant Parkway area.
But this time, these pirates were not stealing packages, but lawn furniture and plants. The homeowner victim didn't want disclose his name but wanted to share his story with KTBS. He even shared video of the incident that happened at the 1500 block of Riverview Lane behind the Riverscape Apartments.
The victim has a smart doorbell that starts recording when movement is detected. At 1:31 a.m. Friday, the device captured video of what looks like a person going into the porch and walking away with furniture.
These pirates came back at 2:12 a.m. to pick up what was left in the porch. What appears to be a male and female pick up pots and plants and walk away.
One of them is covering most of their face with a hoodie, but the other person is not. If you recognize them, call Crime Stoppers.
According to the Shreveport Police Department statistics, there have been 128 thefts from residences in District 5 from January through July of this year. District 5 is where this incident happened.
In all police districts across the city, thefts from residences totaled 796 from January through July. For the same date, last year the number was 802.
Bossier Parish sheriff's Detective Tim Wooten offered these tips to avoid being the victim of thieves:
- Keep your doors locked, both home and vehicles.
- Don't leave valuables outside. Keep them out of sight.
- Install a surveillance system. Take advantage of eBay or Amazon. They sell these kits online at a low price.
- Keep your home lit at night. Motion lights are best.
- You can also leave a TV on in your house, especially when you are not going to be around.